Thursday, November 17, 2011

Constructive Criticism

Last Friday in STAC we presented our power projects to the class. The girls of sophomore dance were all pretty nervous, considering that we finished our dance only the day before the presentation. We were afraid that people weren't going to understand our dance, or maybe think that it wasn't really that good.
Before we started, Luke discussed with us how to deliver constructive criticism. I liked his idea about it a lot. He told us that when watching or viewing a piece that is a work in progress, respond to it by asking questions. I liked that. In past experiences, constructive criticism consisted of telling people other things they should do with their piece. Not compliment it or help the performer understand it. With Luke's method, the criticism makes the performer understand what is unclear, and why. I think that works a whole lot better.
After our discussion, we finally performed it. And despite the nerves, I think we all did really well. A lot of people seemed to enjoy our dance, and most of the class understood the storyline. There were a few misconceptions here and there, and we now know what they are and are able to fix them.
I can't wait to get back to work on our project. I'm eager to fix the problem spots and make our dance better then it already is. I have a feeling that by the end of the year, our group will become really strong. And I'm glad to say, we're really close to getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment