Sunday, September 18, 2011

This Is Life Before You Know Who You're Gonna Be, You're Fifteen...

Yesterday was my fifteenth birthday, and I can honestly say, it was probably the best one yet.

I'm not a materialistic kind of person, but my present from my parents was one in which will completely change my life. This year, my parents bought me an interface, microphone, and keyboard and pedal for recording purposes. Up until yesterday, I've been using Garage Band on my Mac to record all of my music that I've written. All of this new equipment will completely bring it to the next level. Professionalism. Or at least, as professional as you can get as a fifteen year old in your basement with a pink interface. I'm really excited to start using all of this new stuff and to bring all of my music to the next level.

Also, the song "Fifteen" by Taylor Swift meant a lot yesterday too. Sure, it sounds cheesey, but the first thing I did yesterday morning was watch the music video again. But when you're a girl and you love Taylor Swift, things like that just sort of have to be done.

That song has been played exactly 102 times on my iPod, but when I listened to it yesterday it sounded different. That 103rd time was different. And I really don't know how, but it was. Maybe because for the first time I could actually relate to it? I don't know. But, it was interesting to see how things that as a young girl were just songs change into works of poetry and art once you start to grow up and understand them more.

And the video was different too. I saw myself in Taylor, as the girl walking around in a dress, looking everywhere, taking it all in, and whispering to her best friend in class. Back in middle school, I was too afraid to wear a dress to school or to talk to some of the people that I consider friends now. Growing up can really change things.

If younger Sarah could see all the things that older Sarah has accomplished today, she wouldn't believe it. I did not expect to be where I am today 5 years ago. And to be here, and be happy with my life, and excited for what's to come, feels exhillirating.

Taylor Swift - Fifteen Music Video

And lastly, the fifteen candles and strawberry shortcake. Well, what could honestly be better than that? Spending my birthday with the people I love was fantastic, and I can't wait to make fifteen the best year yet.

1 comment:

  1. "That 103rd time was different. And I really don't know how, but it was. Maybe because for the first time I could actually relate to it?"

    What a difference a day makes! Or is it simple a slight shift in perception?

    I went through a bad breakup right after college. Suddenly, all those cheezy love songs lost their cheese and I understood them. Lived them. It was interesting.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete