Thursday, September 8, 2011

Writing On Walls...

Today we did the coolest thing ever. We created a mural on the wall outside of the STAC room intertwining all of the things we love.

When Luke first described the task, I expected it to be pictures all around our work and colors and abstract, things like that. But, it was the complete opposite. And honestly, I like it a whole lot better then my first vision of our mural.

We started with our names in the center. Every word had to be parallel to the floor and capital, and we needed straight lines that connected the words. We wrote things that we love, connected to our names, branched out all over the wall.

So for example, the first thing I wrote was family. After family, I needed to write what I love about family, which was love. Then I needed to write what I loved about love, which was security. And so on and so forth.

Things started to get really interesting once we all started attaching to each others sections of the mural. We began finding ties in our interests, and loves.

While creating my own section of the mural, I watched others in the class create theirs as well. By doing this, we learned a ton about ourselves and about each other.

I honestly think that this was such a smart thing to do today. Not only does it look absolutely amazing and really creative, but it also was a great way to start off the STAC year. For the past two first days of school, we haven't really gotten out of the STAC room at all, and it was mostly talking. Today was really fun to just get out into the hallway and create.

I honestly did not expect the wall to become a huge web of passion. Because that's what it is to me, a huge web of passions and loves. I love the way it turned out, and how different it looks. Most murals in my experiences have been pictures or paintings, and this is really different. Which already says a lot about STAC. Being different. And I really love that aspect of the class. This wall shows that we can all be different and still interconnected.

This particular activity really brightened my day by a lot, and I left school with an open mind. I haven't felt that way in a long time. I felt really relaxed and at ease when I got home, and that was such a change from the past two days of school. I guess creating does that to me, and if so, then I cannot wait to create some more.


Our whole portion of the wall, and all of our webs interconnected.


My personal portion of the wall/web.

5 comments:

  1. Stac is here to trash expectations, I suppose! And it seems like that is working.

    What did you learn, from the mural, about yourself, that was a complete surprise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that when you really think about it, it's kind of hard to write down everything you love. I mean, there really are a lot of things, and some truly do go unnoticed. Today I learned that the things that I love fall usually into different categories, which I found particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly did not expect the wall to become a huge web of passion.
    I like that way of putting it. The wall just seems to be holding so much on its nonexistent shoulders right now, but in a good way. It's holding the sugar and spice and everything nice and throwing it out into the world kind of like an opposite Pandora's Box. It definitely made me feel better at the end of the day and let me go into the rest of the day with an eased state of mind- just like acting- When I work on a part or monologue and feel kind of tired but also feel that progress was made, I feel so at ease and happy for the next few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I honestly did not expect the wall to become a huge web of passion. " This is perfection. Isn't that what love is, after all? A passion. It's a different way to phrase the entire project. Not what we loved, but what we all had a passion for. I feel like Love is such an overused word, but passion is Universal. I can say I have Passions for millions of things and feel like I'm doing the word justice. So thanks for that.
    And also, I feel the same way about the word Mural. Everyone seemed to have this expectation that along with mural we would be drawing, but instead we were starting a new generation of murals. A mural of words, instead of Illustrations. It was a new way to think, and it was deserved. Absolutely Brilliant. Cheers, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "web of passion." Superb.

    Last year I described the point of STAC as "Maximum use of passion."

    ReplyDelete