Saturday, December 10, 2011

Expansion

Last week in STAC we watched a movie called The Army of the 12 Monkeys. Usually, STAC movies are a challenge for me. I always try to find underlying meanings, reasons why, and answers to unanswered questions. As I've mentioned before, movies used to just be something to pass the time for me. Now, because of STAC, I'm slowly starting to see movies in a completely different way.

When Luke started the movie, I was honestly a little disappointed. The beginning just seemed totally stupid and unrealistic to me. As the movie continued however, I started to become more intrigued. The plot became pretty interesting, and I really started to understand what was going on, which was a huge change for me.

At the end of the movie, I still didn't know what to take from it, but I understood it, which is a big step for me.

At the end of Hanna, I had absolutely no idea whatsoever what was going on, and everything went right over my head. It made absolutely no sense to me, I didn't get any of the jokes that everyone else found funny, and I didn't like it at all.

This movie was different though. I started to understand the jokes, and the plot, and why the director chose the shots that he did. I started to pick up why certain clips were shown more than once, and what relevance they had to the outcome of the entire movie.

Although the movie left me a little depressed and dumbfounded on how they could possibly end on that note, I still was impressed with myself for understanding it and partially enjoying it. Granted, The Army of the 12 Monkeys is not my top favorite movie in the entire world, but I didn't hate it at all and I completely appreciated it and was happy that I saw it. And (though this may sound a tad bit repetitive) I think that's a huge step forward for me.

I know that I am no where close to done with expanding my brain and thoughts, and I know that the huge expansion I made first quarter will be hard to beat, but I think I'm still working toward understanding everything and answering all of the unanswered questions in art. And though that may seem trivial to some, I'm pretty proud of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment