Sunday, May 6, 2012

Moving Forward

Though it took me the entire week, I finally found a monologue that I feel works perfectly for me. The monologue that I've decided to work on right now is called "The Young and the Fair" by Richard Nash. It is about a 17 year old girl named Lee who is a young Jewish student that has been battling with discrimination.

At first, I kind of didn't want to work on this monologue, because I felt like I had no real connection to it in reality. I'm not Jewish, and I've never been persecuted about my religion. I felt like it would almost be out of place for me to work on this monologue.

After a meeting with my community (Sabrina, Viviana, and Grace), I realized that I actually did have a deeper connection than I thought to the monologue. Someone in my community brought up that I can use any time in my life that I've been persecuted in this monologue, and I agree, I totally can.

I also learned that although I have no real attachment to the monologue (since again, I am not Jewish), this monologue is one of the first that actually makes me feel something. It's hard to describe, but I truly feel everything every time I read or practice this monologue. It's kind of terrifying in a way. If this is the first time I'm really feeling something in a monologue, what about all the other ones I've been doing all my life? That scares me. But in the beginning of this quarter I told myself to try everything that scares me, so I guess I'm pretty glad it does.

After a meeting with Luke, I was ready to start working on it. Luke gave me some worksheets with vocabulary that was kind of like an outline of the book he gave me, and he also taught me a new memorization technique that's been working pretty well.

I've been working on the monologue now as often as I can, and I'm really enjoying it. So far this has been the most emotional monologue experience for me, and I don't exactly know what's going to happen next with it, but I do know that so far I like the way it's currently going and I hope it continues.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, this is excellent. Tomorrow we will refine the memorization technique a bit to make it work even better.

    It is most important to find monologues which vibrate deep within us. Not just something good, not just something that makes us more castible, but one that moves us, maybe even annoys us in a good way. Then you've got something.

    ReplyDelete